Thursday, August 9, 2012

Early Clifford Still






I think these make him more a contender in relation to Benton and Pollock, and Guston, more than I actually care for them.
There was some morphing of I guess an idea from outer to inner spirit, but the depression style humanism gets in the way of a more universal abstract he got to though--






I think the disappointment is that in the later paintings, he shows me that he was stuck to the same period styles and influences of any of the Greenberg artists. He looks as much like later Frankenthaler and even Goodnough than anything-- of his own. I only say this as he was so sure he was better in some way or another.
Well it got him a Museum!







I'm not sure anything is better than the paintings left out to Museums in his life though definately some stunners and a beautiful Museum for Denver.
They will have the same dilemma as O'Keeffe Museum as the years go by they are more interesting among the others.



No comments:

Post a Comment