Monday, September 2, 2013

Homer at the Clark







I was set to thinking of Melville as I passed Greylock Mountain on the way up to Williamstown.

"swells heaving up like immense subsiding, waves far and wide around it."

Here are some of the classic ocean paintings to go along with that.

It is interesting to see how great the paint is bravura quality I guess coming from Manet and that tradition.







"Look at Nature, work independently, and solve your own problems." Very Yankee, of the time! But it makes sense to wonder what he meant by it.

















Bernard Berensen says something about Piero that his figures stand 'silent like the everlasting rocks.'
I read that in Italy seeing the Peiro della Francesca's in 1972 and have always remembered it.

So seeing the Piero downstairs and then these connected it all. The way I love Art History to line up.





A detail of above.

No comments:

Post a Comment