Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Katz at Serpentine Gallery, London






I was not blown away by this. I was expecting to be. I read Alex saying it was his best. I felt this way also at Bilbao show last year which I was able to see.

I'm not sure what is missing as I see them as the best in contemporary figuration by far. Maybe I've seen most of these now many times. He could be approaching an over exposure. But I hope he keeps on.

He's repeating a lot and his newer unstructured brush stroke is allowing surface to become impressionistic.

They always had such a strong surface.

It was beautiful though and a good juxtaposition to Mary Heilmann at Whitechapel Gallery and Stanley Whitney also up in June 2016.

He has brought figurative painting to a stylish abstraction that allows it to coexist in our contemporary world and yet relating to the unfolding of art history as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment