Wednesday, January 11, 2012

de Kooning at MOMA


                                                   


These pictures are from the MOMA site and not all the ones I'd pick, though I like the examples.






Here he takes off, finding shapes he will repeat over and over in differing styles through his life. This seeming window at the bottom we also see over and over as what painter's call down space.



I liked these drawings as well as anything, as his painting is so based on drawing which I feel so important and why he lords above everyone and can compete with Picasso.








I think it interesting, the idea that he didnt know exactly what he was looking for as no one had done this as of yet and Meyer Schapiro apparently said something like "Bill I think this is it,  you can stop here..." It's a painting!




I think I like the women without their heads. And approaching the all over design. I had the idea that their heads are in the lower left and right corners. I went to see the Demoiselle de Avignon after, that's interesting and this maybe somewhat also like Charnel House paintings of Picasso.




These are probably the best, then...




These photos better than the actual paintings whose colors  are sadly sinking in. The bad light at the Modern doesn't help. Sad, as the subtlety is what is so wonderful.






Again I don't like the figures from this time as much, the clamdiggers. This more field painting is one of my favorites.



I was a visitor to de Kooning's studio around this time. I think everyone likes the de Koonings of their own time the best.




I feel this period under stated in the exhibition as there are many paintings from this time I love. This one not my favorite. I call these paintings "de Kooning skating in Heaven." 

He was very much the romantic searching, searching his whole life. Now in this viewing he seems very classical having found. 





No comments:

Post a Comment