Sunday, January 13, 2013

Metropolitan Sunday

I always just see something in the regular galleries better than anything in the special exhibitions. Th e Matisse and Bellows shows are good but still fighting the crowds makes it all less. Today my great revelation were these things I know but saw again differently.

These hatch marks on this Iranian pottery are on earlier Egyptian pottery and also in New Mexico, literally in my back yard where Anasazi Indians left the shards 1000 years ago.








I saw a different example of the hatches continued evolution in the post impressionist galleries, enlarged hatching of Van Gogh, and Cezanne and generally in Expressionism activating modernist flat color. Johns apparently saw this in Edvard Munch's Between the Clock and the Bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment