Sunday, January 13, 2013

Matisse and Bellows at the Met

These shows are no photo shows.

Matisse is very good. The galleries a bit dowdy and dark for Matisse. His lesson beside the Picasso B/W show is the play beside his B/W drawings and color paintings, then combining them. I really like the Verve drawings.

Wallace Stevens through Keats says, "Death is the mother of beauty." I see the B/W as sparking the color up, different artists react differently to this phenomena.




















Bellows comes out of Henri and Manet. He died young and would have changed the face of American Art I believe. My friend Paul Georges owes a lot to him.
The only picture I have is this as it is like a Homer where the theory of ocean painting is taken apart and delivered raw.

The portraits are great also.

Sorry you have to go see for yourself.












No comments:

Post a Comment