Monday, January 14, 2013

MOMA

I went to see the Inventing Abstraction Show.

I wasn't that interested in it. The things I liked were the Marsden Hartley's and a Leger painting juxtaposed. Something new for me to think about. They are both around 1915-19. Hartley was closer to the action than one thinks.

The Malevich paintings with the Brancusi column looks great.

A great Stanton MacDonald Wright painitng from Buffalo Albright Knox.

But no pictures allowed.






I again have a better time in the permanent collection. I like how an idea develops for me. I started out looking at he black lines looking for a story but it ended up as a story of the what I call Romantic B/W like Pollock is the big example but there is an evolution going on up to Chris Wool.










That juxtaposed to the Newman and the Tony Smith in the lobby which is very much a Newman-- then the transcendent Mondrian, the de Kooning which can replace Pollock-- One the big Pollock was missing-- a great Kline which has been on display lately, then a great finish with the Warhol and Sol Lewitt echoed the earlier work.


No comments:

Post a Comment